Our focus on great smiles at OSL in Dover, DE includes protecting our lips, especially in the summer! When you put on the sunscreen with sun protection factor (SPF) also put on some lip balm with SPF. Why?
2. The sun’s UV rays can result in the formation of wrinkles around the lips which is a sign of premature aging and sun damage.
3. Lip cancer represented 50% of all oral cancers with 81% of new cases occurring on the lower lip, according to researchers at the University of Western Australia.
4. Prevalence is 3 times greater in men than women.
5. Only 37% of us who use sunscreen also use lip balm, according to a University of Texas Medical Branch survey of beach-goers.
6. Dr. Steckel’s plastic surgery colleagues recommend a UV lip balm with an SPF of 31, that contain transparent zinc oxide (like the white stuff you see on the lifeguards’ noses at the beach, but clear) and moisturizers. Make sure you use it everyday, even when it’s cloudy!
Wishing you all a fabulous summer from your friends at Orthodontics on Silver Lake!