Orthodontic patients at Orthodontics on Silverlake are usually in good dental health before they begin their treatment. In reviewing their medical history before treatment, I may find prescription meds that can cause dry mouth and/or eating habits that can be detrimental. Frequent meals can subject their teeth to more frequent plaque-inducing acids. So our patients get an education in oral health care, and they are asked to make a commitment to keeping their teeth clean throughout their active treatment. GOOD NEWS: This has been shown to have a lasting impact, long after the treatment is completed.(1)
I have found that patients using a Sonicare® toothbrush have an easier time maintaining their commitment.
- My OSL team and I observe less stain on our patients’ teeth, and this also was confirmed in a 2010 randomized, multi-center study of 179 adults (2).
- Another study looked at reducing gingivitis, gingival bleeding and plaque over time and they compared a manual toothbrush to a Sonicare® toothbrush. The Sonicare® toothbrush removed up to 4 times as much plaque than the manual toothbrush, and reduced the bleeding and gingivitis by 2 times.(3)
- The 2 minute timer in the brush is very motivating, and the mechanism and extent of plaque removal goes beyond manual scrubbing. (4)
We encourage patients to put a Sonicare® on their Christmas wish list this year (not kidding!). Every Sonicare® toothbrush purchased in our office in the month of December 2012 enters you into our drawing for one lucky parent or patient to receive their very own Sonicare® from all of us at OSL.
Good luck, Good health, and Happy Holidays! See you next month.
1. Orthodontic Treatment Contributes to Good Dental Health for Adults/www.aaomembers.org/Press/Orthodontic
2. Colgan P, DeLaurenti M, et al Data on File 2010
3. Milleman K, Milleman J, Putt M et al, Data on File 2011
4. Hope CK, Wilson M. Am JDent 2002;15:7B-11B