Everyone here at OSL is enjoying the start of Summer 2016!
When we ask you, “What are you looking forward to doing this summer?,” your answers range from swimming, going to the beach and amusement parks, or even just sleeping in!
Summer is also filled with great eating opportunities. When you have braces, your focus should be on eating softer foods to avoid cracking or loosening your brackets. Here are ten delicious foods to enjoy with your braces this summer:
1. Fruit salad: strawberries, bananas, pineapple, blueberries, etc.
3. Soft cheeses (loaded with healthy protein too!)
4. Hot dogs
5. Chocolate: a melt in your mouth treat!
6. Ice cream
7. Corn: cut off of the cob
9. Yogurt: another high protein food
10. Watermelon: a summer tradition! (Just make sure to cut it from the rind before eating)
From all of us at OSL, we wish you a fun and memorable summer. If you have any questions, check out our website doverorthodontics.com or call us at 302-672-7776
Our focus on great smiles at OSL in Dover, DE includes protecting our lips, especially in the summer! When you put on the sunscreen with sun protection factor (SPF) also put on some lip balm with SPF. Why?
1. Our lips have little to no melanin or pigment, so all of us, light or dark skinned, are susceptible to sun damage on our lips.
2. The sun’s UV rays can result in the formation of wrinkles around the lips which is a sign of premature aging and sun damage.
3. Lip cancer represented 50% of all oral cancers with 81% of new cases occurring on the lower lip, according to researchers at the University of Western Australia.
4. Prevalence is 3 times greater in men than women.
5. Only 37% of us who use sunscreen also use lip balm, according to a University of Texas Medical Branch survey of beach-goers.
6. Dr. Steckel’s plastic surgery colleagues recommend a UV lip balm with an SPF of 31, that contain transparent zinc oxide (like the white stuff you see on the lifeguards’ noses at the beach, but clear) and moisturizers. Make sure you use it everyday, even when it’s cloudy!
Wishing you all a fabulous summer from your friends at Orthodontics on Silver Lake!