Facts about early treatment options for 8-10 year olds:
- A typical 8-10 year old may still have 12 baby teeth
- Sometimes the baby teeth are stuck and can interfere with the permanent teeth erupting on schedule
- Sometimes the permanent teeth erupt into the wrong path or position
- Your family dentist may rely on an orthodontist, such as Dr. Steckel, to check these developmental problems
- Interceptive Orthodontics may be recommended by Dr. Steckel in Dover, DE for your 8-10 year old after she reviews the diagnostic records
- This is different than braces, because it is planned to correct a developmental problem with your preteen’s teeth
- Interceptive treatment can involve an expander, partial braces, space maintainers, or other treatment methods which Dr. Steckel and Team OSL will review with you during your complimentary consulation
- Call today for your Preteen’s smile evaluation at 302-672-7776 or visit us at www.doverorthodontics.com
See below for a great example of how Dr. Steckel helped a happy pre-teen with his smile:
Children’s Dental Health Month is a great time to “brush up” on dental health knowledge. It is important to brush two times a day, using small circles, for two full minutes. Watch the video below to see how.
A trip to the orthodontist can also be an important part of dental health. Teeth that are aligned properly look and feel good. The ability to speak, chew, and bite, as well as good dental health can all be dependent on properly aligned teeth.
If your child’s teeth are not properly aligned, it can lead to dental problems. A check-up, no later than age 7, will help Dr. Steckel provide treatment at the right time in your child’s developmental process. Call us to schedule your child for his or her first orthodontic appointment today! 302-672-7776
Our orthodontist, Dr. Stephanie Steckel agrees with the American Association of Orthodontists’ (AAO) recommendation that a child should receive his or her first orthodontic evaluation by the age of 7. By the time a child reaches this age, several permanent teeth have erupted, allowing orthodontists to identify possible problems. For some young children, early treatment can reduce the time spent in braces and possibly eliminate the need for future tooth extractions. Even though many children do not need treatment when they are young, a thorough evaluation can help determine if treatment would be beneficial for the child’s dental future.
When Dr. Steckel has the opportunity to see patients at an early age, she can correct small problems before they become larger, more expensive ones. Early orthodontic intervention may consist of the patient wearing removable or fixed appliances to allow for proper jaw growth and improved tooth spacing.
It’s Never Too Late for Orthodontic Treatment
While starting orthodontic treatment at a young age can be very beneficial in many ways, it is never too late to achieve a healthy, straight and beautiful smile! These days, braces aren’t just for kids, and many of the patients we see at our Dover orthodontic practice are adults. Adults now have many choices when it comes to wearing braces. We offer several different types of braces including metal braces, clear ceramic braces, In-Ovation self-ligating braces and Invisalign, which is a very discreet way to improve one’s smile. Many of the adults we treat opt for clear braces or Invisalign as both are very low-profile in nature.
Individualized Treatment Based on Evidence
At Orthodontics on Silver Lake, we believe in evidence-based treatment, meaning that we follow clinical evidence to identify the best treatment options and techniques available for every patient. For each patient we see, we provide a clear explanation of his or her specific orthodontic needs, detailed information about the patient’s options, and expert guidance in making the right decisions.